Fort Dodge, IA — Boasting the top overall finisher on Saturday, Iowa Central captured the 2017 NJCAA DI Women's Cross Country Championship with a low score of 52. The team title is the sixth in program history for the Tritons and their first since 2013.
Freshman Adva Cohen of Iowa Central cruised through the 5k course with a top time of 17:24.4, nearly 20 seconds faster than the second place finisher. Cohen becomes the third different and fourth overall individual champion in program history for the Tritons, all coming within the last five years.
- The top five scorers for Iowa Central all finished within the top 17 runners
- Marion Bartilol joined fellow teammate Cohen with a dominant performance, finishing fifth overall with a time of 18:03.0.
- Central Arizona recorded a second place finish with three runners inside the top 15.
- Central Arizona has finished inside the top five team standings in each of the last nine seasons.
- Cowley (KS), Southern Idaho, and Allen County (KS) rounded out the top five team scoring.
- Garden City's (KS) sophomore Sandra Szpott finished second overall with a time of 17:43.9.
- Seven different programs were represented inside the individual top 10 finishers, including Colby's (KS) Winnie Kibet who placed third.
- Cohen will look to join former Triton standout Leanne Pompeani (2015-16) to repeat as an individual champion.
- The Iowa Central cross country program swept the men's and women's championships on Saturday.
Photos courtesy of Paul DeCoursey