ROCHESTER, MN – The final match of the 2018 NJCAA DIII Volleyball Championship did not disappoint. In a five-set thriller, No.1 seeded Owens (OH) defeated No. 3 seeded Eastfield (TX), the 2017 defending champions. Owens claimed the first two sets of the match, before winning the final set of the match 15-13 at UCR Regional Sports Center in Rochester, MN.
Owens swept through the quarterfinal and semifinal rounds, defeating Queensborough (NY) and Rochester (MN). By clinching the win, the Express concluded their season with a 15-game winning streak.
- The Express closed out the 2018 championship campaign with an overall record of 40-6.
- During the championship game, MVP of the tournament Owens sophomore Michaela Eisenhauer tallied 19 kills and 21 digs.
- No. 3 seeded Eastfield won the school's first ever NJCAA Volleyball Championship title in 2017. In this year's tournament, the Lady Harvesters battled through Lorain County (OH) and Central Lakes (MN) to reach the national championship game for the second consecutive season and finished the season 26-10.
- The Lady Harvesters had a big game defensively at the net, with six total blocks, but trailed Owens in team hitting percentage and receiving errors.
- Eastfield's Keishla Reyes, the 2017 NJCAA DIII Volleyball Championship MVP, tallied 24 kills in the final match and 40 in the championship tournament.
- The championship win for Owens marks the first NJCAA Volleyball Championship title in school history.