CASPER, Wyo. – Miami Dade (Fla.) returned to national prominence Saturday night at the Casper Events Center, sweeping Iowa Western 25-20, 25-13, 25-18, in the NJCAA Division I Volleyball Championship Match.
- Massiel Matos led Miami Dade’s attack with a match-high 15 kills to go along with nine digs defensively.
- Naimir Garcia and Sun Wenteng contributed 14 and 11 kills, respectively, to the Sharks’ effort.
- With a match-high 47 assists, Leidy Vargas effectively ran the Miami Dade offense.
- Camila Hernandez led the Sharks defensively with a match-high 22 digs.
- Iowa Western’s attack was anchored by a team-high eight kills from Lauren Salerno.
- The Sharks won their program’s fifth national title since combining programs (1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2016). Prior to the merger, Miami Dade programs won championships in 1986, 1989, 1990 and 1992.
- Recording four sweeps during the tournament, Miami Dade failed to lose a single set at the championship.
- En route to the title match, the No. 4-seeded Sharks swept No. 13-seed Mineral Area (Mo.), No. 5-seed Salt Lake (Utah) and No. 8-seed Santa Fe (Fla.).