Topeka, KS – The Iowa Central men’s cross country team added another piece of hardware to their collection this fall season as the Tritons captured the 2017 NJCAA Half Marathon Championship. The Tritons boasted the top three runners in Saturday’s meet for the program’s sixth half marathon title, a new NJCAA record.
Karim Achengli claimed the individual title for the second consecutive year with a time of 107:51.6. Fellow teammates Jordan Ccope and Ezekiel Kipchirchir finished second and third, respectively as the Tritons swept the top three spots for the second straight year.
- Iowa Central’s sixth team title breaks a tie with South Plains (TX) for the most in NJCAA history.
- The Triton’s finished with six points, tying a NJCAA record with last year’s finish.
- Achengli’s individual title is the seventh in program history for Iowa Central, also a NJCAA record.
- South Plains finished second on Saturday with 19 points as sophomore Felix Kosgei finished fourth overall for the Texans at the Lake Shawnee & Bettis Family Sports Complex.
- DI cross country individual champion Eric Fitzpatrick finished fifth overall for Southern Idaho with a time of 1:10:12.0.
- Cloud County (KS), Ranger (TX), and El Paso (TX) finished rounded out the top five team scoring.
- Iowa Central also claimed the 2017 DI men's cross country earlier this season.