Cedar Falls, IA – No. 3 Iowa Western rallied from an early 10-0 deficit to win the 2017 The Graphic Edge Bowl- Feature Game 36-19 over No. 5 Northwest Mississippi. Sophomore Kai Locksley earned postgame Offensive MVP honors for the Reivers.
Northwest built an early lead after Jack Abraham found JaVonta Payton for a 10-0 lead in the first quarter. The Reivers turned to Locksley who provided two touchdown strikes, including one just before halftime for a 17-10 lead at the break. Iowa Western used two more fourth quarter touchdown passes from Locksley to secure the win.
With the win, head coach Scott Strohmeier recorded his 100th career victory and has now guided the Reivers to double-digit wins in five of the last six seasons.
- Locksley starred for the Reivers after throwing for 274 yards and four touchdowns while adding a score on the ground.
- Freshman Ky'el Hemby racked up eight total tackles and added an interception to win Defensive MVP for Iowa Western.
- Makei Sargent posted 151 rushing yards to set a school record for yards in a season with 1,434.
- Abraham powered the offense for Northwest with 246 passing yards and two touchdowns.
- Turner Rotenberry led the Rangers with 15 total tackles while Keith Brown Jr. recorded a pair of sacks.
- The Reivers closed out the season averaging 45.8 points per game, the fourth-best mark in the nation.