The recent passing of George E. Killian has affected many individuals nationwide. George was certainly a pioneer and one that helped shape the lives of hundreds of thousands of individuals within the National Junior College Athletic Association.
In order to honor George’s Legacy, the NJCAA has established the George E. Killian Memorial Leadership Scholarship. Donations to honor his legacy fund are now being accepted. Student-athlete nominations for this scholarship will begin this coming spring and one graduating student-athlete from a current NJCAA institution will receive a $500 scholarship.
Criteria for this scholarship award will be as follows:
- Student-athlete must be in his or her final semester of 2-year college attendance
- Student-athlete must have the intention of attending a four-year institution
- Student-athlete must have a cumulative GPA of a 3.2 or higher
- Student-athlete must have competed on an NJCAA athletic team for at least one full season
- Student-athlete must have served in some type of leadership role within his or her community or college
Nominations for the scholarship will begin in the spring semester of 2017 in collaboration with the end-of-the-year NJCAA Student-Athlete Awards.
Contributions to the George E. Killian Memorial Scholarship can be sent to the following: